What Is Beard Oil Used For? Should You Use It?
When people are evaluating the benefits of beard oil and deciding whether or not to use it, we get asked some common questions. Among them are:
- "What is beard oil used for?"
- "What does beard oil do for your beard?"
- "Should I use beard oil?"
Regarding that last one, our product development expert, Joe Loving, has the simple answer:
"Absolutely, 100%, YES!!"
It's no surprise that we think you should use beard oil, right? However, there are some excellent reasons (and science) to support this answer.
The branch of medicine that relates to hair and scalp is known as trichology. Yup, there's an entire area of science devoted to this.
So what does beard oil do exactly? Or, at least, what is beard oil supposed to do? Why should you use it?
Though we're not scientists or doctors here at MEAN BEARD, we've studied the science extensively, so here's a quick explanation of the need to supplement the body's natural beard lubricant, called sebum, with a beard oil product.
What Do Beard Oils Do?
#1. Beard Oil Controls Beard Itch & DandruffEach hair follicle in our beard is housed inside a gland called the sebaceous gland. These are the glands that make our bodies' natural oil called sebum, which coats and protects the beard follicle. As your beard starts to gain momentum in growth, unfortunately, your sebaceous gland cannot keep up with the volume needed to keep the skin on the outside moisturized and healthy. The resulting symptoms are known as "beard itch" or "beard dandruff" due to the dryness and potentially unhealthy skin. Beard oil controls these symptoms, providing moisture to your skin and helping keep it healthy.
#2. Beard Oil Prevents Hair BreakageIf your skin is not healthy, your beard is not healthy. By supplementing your daily care regimen with beard oil, your facial skin will be moisturized and protected from all environmental factors, such as cold weather, humidity and even dust and dirt particles. This makes for a happy, healthy and strong beard.
#3. Beard Oil Promotes a Softer, Smoother Beard
A healthy, well-moisturized beard (along with the skin underneath) is softer, smoother and just darn sexier. Don't believe us? Try out some beard oil, feel it soften, and then ask that special someone in your life.
What Is Beard Oil Made Of?Alright, so you have an idea of what to do with beard oil, but you might still be wondering what's in the stuff. Well, speaking for our product, MEAN BEARD Oil is a master blend of nutrient-rich oils that provides exceptional benefits to the health of your facial hair and skin without leaving behind a greasy feeling or stains on your clothing as some beard oils do. Our master blend of nutrient-rich carrier oils consists of:
- Apricot Kernel Oil (aka Prunus Armeniaca): Apricot Kernel Oil is great for all skin types; it is a light, non-greasy oil that absorbs quickly. Apricot Kernel Oil contains Vitamin A, C & E, which have properties to promote hair growth, help maintain the skin's moisture balance and keep hair soft.
- Hemp Seed Oil (Unrefined) (aka Cannabis Sativa): Hemp Seed Oil moisturizes the skin and hair. Hemp Seed Oil stimulates hair growth by providing proteins containing Omega-3, 6 and 9, which help reduce breakage through moisturizing properties. Being unrefined, Hempseed Oil has been left in its virgin state after pressing; therefore, there are no filters or chemical processes.
- Jojoba Oil (aka Simmondsia Chinensis): Jojoba Oil does not block pores; it conditions hair and helps eliminate dandruff. Jojoba Oil closely resembles the sebum of the skin and is rich in Vitamin E.
- Meadowfoam Seed Oil (aka Limnanthes Alba): Meadowfoam Seed Oil contains 98% long-chain fatty acids with carbon atoms, and it is a superb antioxidant. Meadowfoam Seed Oil has skin softening properties, prevents dryness, locks in moisture, hydrates hair and is known to make hair fuller and shinier. It also reduces dryness and dandruff.
- Vitamin E (aka Tocopherol): Vitamin E helps heal, rejuvenate and protect the skin. Additionally, Vitamin E helps prolong the shelf life of the other carrier oils.
MEAN BEARD Oil does not contain Argan Oil for possible allergenic concerns and unsatisfactory quality.
MEAN BEARD Oil is bottled in dark amber glass bottles, which are superior to clear bottles because they help filter out harmful ultraviolet rays, so the shelf life of your beard oil is extended.
Different Beard Oil ScentsWe offer five scents of MEAN BEARD Oil:
- Gunsmoke Beard Oil (phthalate-free vanilla fragrance blend)
- Chainsaw Beard Oil (essential oil cedar blend)
- King's Throne Beard Oil (essential oil patchouli blend)
- Rockstar Beard Oil (phthalate-free tobacco fragrance blend)
- Cannonball Beard Oil (phthalate-free coconut fragrance blend)
These come in two different sizes:
- 1 oz. industry-standard size — perfect for traveling
- 3 oz. MEAN BEARD size — a great value & perfect for refilling your 1 oz. bottle.
How Do You Know Which Oil is Good for Your Beard?It's important to understand that not all beard oils are created equal. At MEAN BEARD, we've worked with licensed professionals to formulate our beard care products specifically for the benefits we've outlined. The carrier oils provide the best beard oil benefits, so it's vital to ensure you choose a product that is natural and doesn't contain ingredients that can clog pores or damage the skin.
Recap: What Are the Overall Benefits of Beard Oil?Stop wondering what to do with beard oil and start reaping its benefits instead. Beard oil can:
- Stop beard itch
- Stop dandruff/beardruff
- Prevent dryness, split ends and breakage
- Nourish the skin under your beard
- Smooth and protect your beard
- Encourage beard growth