At this point, unless you've been living in a cave for a decade (in which case, you probably have a killer beard), you've likely heard of beard oil. And if you're a facial hair aficionado, you might have even tried some. But do you know how to oil your beard properly? Or, better yet, do you know how to apply beard oil like a professional beardsman? It's not rocket science, of course, but it's still important to get the right beard oil application on your face to reap the most benefits. We're here to clue you in on everything you need to know, including all the beard oil tips, tricks and basics. Keep reading to learn how to put on beard oil like you've been doing it since you sprouted your first hair.
What Is Beard Oil?
Beard oil is, simply, a conditioner for both your beard and the skin beneath it. The primary beard oil uses come down to keeping your facial hair healthy and moisturized. As such, it is an essential part of a proper beard care and grooming routine. More specifically, beard oil is used for the following:
- Controlling beard itch and dandruff
- Preventing hair breakage
- Keeping beards soft and smooth
Despite some wishful thinking, beard oil's uses do not include growth. It's not a magical hair growth oil in that it can't change your biology or give you testosterone. However, beard oil does promote growth, meaning its ingredients (like the vitamins in Apricot Kernel Oil and Hemp Seed Oil) can stimulate hair follicles and condition your skin so that the hair can grow at the maximum rate your body will allow.
What Do You Need to Have When You Apply Beard Oil?
We promised the basics, and it doesn't get much more basic than this. To apply beard oil, you need:
- The beard oil itself
- A long or short beard
- A dropper of some sort (each jar of MEAN BEARD oil comes with one)
- A beard comb
That last one is where things get interesting. While any comb will work in a pinch, we feel that the best beard comb is made of wood. Different beard styles work best with wide or narrow teeth, so it may be wise to have options on hand.
How Much Beard Oil Should I Use?
When learning how to put on beard oil, you might be wondering how much to use. The correct amount to apply depends on two things — the length of your beard and your personal preference. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- Short Beard of 3" or Less — About three drops (no fewer than two; no more than six)
- Medium Beard of 3" to 9" — About eight drops (no fewer than six; no more than 10)
- Long Beard of Over 9" — At least 10 drops
Again, this is just a starting point. Trial and error will yield the correct amount for your beard oil application.
The Best Way to Apply Beard Oil
Every beardsmen is different, so the best way to apply beard oil might differ slightly from gent to gent. However, these are some professional tips for how to apply beard oil correctly:
- Drop the beard oil into your palm (it's best to start with about two or three drops, regardless of your beard's length — you can always add more).
- Put your hands together and spread the oil evenly.
- Spread the oil on the skin beneath your beard, then gravitate to the hair.
- Oil the hair of your cheeks using your palms and fingers.
- Oil up your chin and mustache, using your fingertips to get every hair on your mustache.
- For an even beard oil application, use a beard comb across your entire beard, going both with and against the direction of your hair's natural growth.
- If necessary, put on more oil using the same method, but don't go overboard — too much can weigh you down.
- Looking in the mirror, style your beard the way you prefer — you can use either the comb or your hands.
- Gaze upon your magnificent beard and prepare to take on the world.
If your beard won't stay in place, consider adding a beard balm to get a heavier hold.
When to Use Beard Oil
You want your beard to be damp and clean when you apply beard oil, so it's best to do so right after washing your face or taking a shower and drying it with a towel. We recommend deciding when to use beard oil during the day (morning or night) and sticking to it so it simply becomes part of your normal grooming routine.
While we suggest you apply beard oil every day, some men prefer to use it every other day as needed. Those with long beards, especially over 9", might want to oil up twice a day to keep their facial hair smooth and shiny.
Beard Oil: Before and After
Now you know how to oil your beard, but you're probably wondering how you'll look with beard oil, before and after. Well, you know what it looks like before — probably dry, scraggly and unkempt. After you apply beard oil, it will look shiny, healthy, smooth, hydrated and full. As we mentioned, it will not make your beard grow any faster, but it will condition it to look fuller.
Other Beard Oil Tips
Getting the right application is important, and we have a few more beard oil tips to keep in mind. Here are some things to be aware of when you buy and apply beard oil:
- Avoid buying beard oil with sulfates, phthalates and other unnatural junk. Stick to natural ingredients and high-quality, nutrient-rich carrier oils.
- Don't apply too much beard oil as this can weigh you down and make you feel greasy — start with a small amount and work your way up to find what works for you.
- Comb the oil all the way through your beard so that there aren't large droplets sitting in it and doing nothing to condition your hair and skin.
- Don't apply beard oil when your face is soaking wet — it'll just drip right off.
- Avoid pouring oil directly on your face — this is a recipe for disaster.
- Stop using beard oil if it causes any irritation to your skin.
Proper Beard Oil Application Starts With MEAN BEARD
You know how to apply beard oil the best way — now you need the best beard oil to do it. MEAN BEARD has everything you need to keep your beard looking sharp and feeling even better. Our beard oil is made in the USA with the greatest ingredients we could find to ensure that your beard feels smooth and looks MEAN. If you want to go beyond the oil alone, check out one of our beard care kits. Get the beard oil application you need — get MEAN BEARD.